On your computer, there are various drives:
- C: hard drive
- D: DVD
- E: removable storage
Network Drives are a different kind of drive. You can save items on your network drive in the same way you could your local disk drives. Network drives are shared storage areas that are created by IT. Different network drives are used to do different things, some save files like cloud storage and others allow you to share files between different authorized members of your department.
- Contains files/folders for all EKU administrative areas and colleges.
- An administrative area is any area not related to a particular college (Financial Aid, Registration, Records, IT, etc.)
- Mapped under "My Computer" as the N:Drive.
- Privacy: Internally viewable by those assigned within your department or college. NOT viewable by the general public.
- If you need access to the N Drive you can put in a ticket here. Please include your username, EKU ID number, and the path that you will need access to.
Map a drive to this resource by opening "My Computer", choose "Map Network Drive" from the tools menu and entering this information:
- Drive Letter: (choose N:)
- Network Path: \\filesrv\ekudata
- Check the box for "Reconnect on login" and it should always show up.
If you'd like to create a shortcut on your desktop follow these steps:
- Right click on the Desktop and choose "New" and then "Shortcut"
- In the "Create Shortcut" dialog box, type this: "\\filesrv\ekudata"
- Click Next
- Enter the name for the shortcut, like "N Drive" in the next dialog.
- Click "Finish"
Request access to the N Drive
- University wide projects are located here.
- Users may work on a project with other departments without compromising the security of their N: Drive.
- Mapped as P: Drive in "My Computer".
- Privacy: Internally viewable by those assigned. NOT viewable to general public.
If you need to map the drive to your computer use this path: \\filesrv\projects
- Student lab accessible drive
- Faculty store documents/folders that students can view in labs
- Mapped as L: Drive in "My Computer"
- Contains files/folders that are potentially needed for all Faculty and Staff at EKU
- Includes various software packages, University Forms, and technical documents
- Mapped as Q: Drive in "My Computer" as \\filesrv\eku_pub
- Privacy Level: Internally viewable by those assigned. Not viewable by the general public.
- User storage space (2 gigabyte)
- Employee personal files may be stored here
- Mapped as U: Drive in "My Computer" as \\usrsrv.facultystaff.eku.edu\user\emailusername
- Privacy: Files on this drive are seen only by the employee
U: Drive Support Article
Employees: Disabled as of June 1, 2017
- Storage drive (1 gigabyte)
- Do NOT put any sensitive data on the W drive.
Quick Instructions for Mac
From the "Go" menu, choose "Connect to Server".
In the window presented, enter one of the six items:
- For the L: drive enter: cifs://studentsrv.student.eku.edu/labs
- For the N: drive enter: cifs://filesrv.facultystaff.eku.edu/ekudata
- For the Q: drive enter: cifs://filesrv.facultystaff.eku.edu/eku_pub
- For the U: drive enter: cifs://usrsrv.facultystaff.eku.edu/user/emailusername
- For the P: drive enter: cifs://filesrv.facultystaff.eku.edu/projects
- For the faculty W: drive enter: cifs://web.facultystaff.eku.edu/myweb/emailusername
- For the student W: drive enter: cifs://studentsrv.student.eku.edu/users/emailusername
If the preface cifs does not work, update the operating system or try smb in place of cifs.
Note: replace emailusername with your email username (lastnamefirstinitial).
Quick Instructions for PC
In the "My Computer" window click on "Map Network Drive" and enter the following information:
In the window presented choose the letter and enter the following address:
- For the L: drive enter: \\studentsrv.student.eku.edu\labs
- For the N: drive enter: \\filesrv.facultystaff.eku.edu\ekudata
- For the Q: drive enter: \\filesrv.facultystaff.eku.edu\eku_pub
- For the U: drive enter: \\usrsrv.facultystaff.eku.edu\user\emailusername
- For the P: drive enter: \\filesrv.facultystaff.eku.edu\projects
- For the faculty W: drive enter: \\web.facultystaff.eku.edu\myweb\emailusername
- For the student W: drive enter: \\studentsrv.student.eku.edu\users\emailusername