Workstations in the workplace are sometimes easy targets for criminal activity. Whenever a laptop or mobile device is lost or stolen, the data on that device has also been stolen and if proprietary EKU data is lost or compromised, the resulting damage can be much greater than the cost of replacing the equipment. Some tips:
- If you have a desktop PC, lock it each time your leave it, even if for just a few minutes.
- Avoid storing university data on laptops or other mobile devices.
- If you have a laptop, before leaving your work area, turn off, close the lid, or lock your computer, put away sensitive documents, and lock up cabinets and other storage spaces. Take portable devices or media with you, or lock them up.
- Remove sensitive documents immediately from printers, fax machines, and copiers so that no one else can read them.
- Shred documents that contain sensitive information. Don't discard them in public wastebaskets.
- Don't leave portable equipment in a vehicle, even if it is locked. In addition to the possibility of theft, heat or cold in a closed vehicle can sometimes damage computer equipment.