IT Student Employment
The Information Technology (IT) Department hires many students each year to work in various positions across campus. If you are an EKU student and are intersted in employment in IT, see our Open Student Postions page and the job descriptions below. We are always looking for students with Federal and Institutional Work Study and those who need Co-op hours!
Top reasons why working with campus IT is right for you:
- Work doesn't have to be a balancing act! Working on campus is more convenient and is just a short walk from residence halls and hour classes! If you have an awkward two-hour break between classes, the perfect way to fill it can be working. We also understand that there is a lot on any given student's place, so we are happy to accommodate your work schedules with your class schedule, personal life, and general well-being.
- Co-Workers make great friends! Having co-workers who are also students on the same campus can be such a blessing. We have student employees who work with us for their entire 4 years as a student who make life-long friends and network connections. Most likely, you will have a co-worker (or two) in one of your classes. Coworkers can make great study buddies and older coworkers know the ropes.
- Learn about applicable life skills, on the job. With offices comprise of both student and full-time staff, on campus jobs will teach you about interactions with people and customers working in the real world. Full time staff love to interact with students. Many IT campus jobs are customer facing and teach excellent customer service skills, which can be applied to any job you move on to next. Our jobs also help develop critical thinking or problem solving, project management, interpersonal skills, communication skills, and so many more!
- Use your work-study funds. If you have a Federal Work Study award, use it with us! You can see if you qualify by asking for it when you complete the FAFSA each year. (Note: We do hire lots of student without this too.)
- Have a supplemental income. For all students, having an on-campus IT job is a wonderful way to earn supplemental income for everything from groceries to school supplies. Having extra income on the side offers students the opportunity to become financially independent for the first time, making it an excellent experience of independent and responsibility that can be used in interviews and jobs in the future.
- Find and enhance your interests. The transition from being a student to the next step in life can seem intimidating. But, and on-campus IT job offers a platform that you can use to get to know what you may be interested in pursuing in the future. Our jobs range from basic tech support, to working with audiovisual and makerspace equipment, to photography and graphic design, to assisting with networking or digital security.
- IT Geeks CURRENT OPENINGS! - (More information and job description)
IT Geeks are links between IT @ EKU and EKU students (e.g. current, future, and potential) and others (e.g. families, faculty, staff, and community at large). They play a vital role in supporting student success at EKU by: (1) Supporting student-owned computers,mobile, and entertainment devices connections; (2) software installations (3) virus/malware cleanup; (4) Supporting the student tech computer labs; (5)
Supporting computing clusters in each residence hall; (6) Checking out electronic equipment to customers; (7) Delivering one-on-one and group tech training (“Tech Talks”); and (8) Assisting with electronic recycling.
The program also provides the IT Geek with an excellent opportunity to gain valuable work and co-op experiences [when cleared with the Co-op Office]; improving skills such as communication, teamwork, project management, and working with different demographics.
We also have openings for social media, graphic design, video, and photography if you have those skills! Just mention that when you apply.
- Student Classroom A/V Support Tech
-Support and troubleshoot classroom technology such as projectors, tvs, sound systems, AV control systems, etc in response to faculty/staff reported issues and training requests
-Periodic maintenance and testing of classroom Audio-Visual technology
-Cable management of classroom AV wiring
-Installation of new AV equipment
-Database administration for record keeping, training/informational documentation, and work
-Mandatory skills: Aptitude and interest in working with technology
-Desired skills: Declared technology-related major. Some experience (professional or personal) troubleshooting technology
- Information Technology Consultant Assistant
The Information Technology Consultant Assistant will assist the IT Service Desk in daily operations. Duties include, but are not limited to: hardware and software support, computer deployment, break/fix troubleshooting, etc. Expect to work in teams to develop, deploy, and support Faculty, Staff, and Students across campus.
Desired Technical Skills:
• Basic familiarity with computer hardware components
• Basic software and hardware troubleshooting skills
• Familiar with Windows or Mac OS X operating systems
• Basic understanding of both network connectivity and protocols
• Experience in the installation and setup of computer hardware
• Be willing and eager to learn
• Maintain a positive and professional attitude
• Be able to communicate effectively and concisely
• Express an attention to detail
• Ability to start and complete tasks without close supervision
• Interest in programming or scripting
• Interest in Project Management.
- Student Security Analyst
The Student Security Analyst will assist in the Security Engineer day-to-day operations of EKU's Information Security Program.
-Assisting the Security Analyst in investigating and processing Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) notices.
-Monitoring and investigating intrusion detection system (IDS) events and other security incidents
-Maintaining vulnerability assessment systems
-Maintaining information security policies and procedures
-Assisting the Security Analyst in other tasks as needed
Student Network Analyst
Provide first level technical support for the daily operation of EKU's Local Area Network (LAN), Wide Area Network (WAN), and wireless network under the guidance of senior members of the networking staff.