Mobile Device Security Tips
Like most people, you've probably accumulated a lot of personal information on your mobile device. The valuable data makes these devices a target for thieves and cybercriminals. These tips are especially important if university data is on the mobile device:
- Use a password, passphrase, or passcode on your mobile device. Set the lock feature to a few minutes.
- Enable a firewall, when possible.
- Install antivirus software, when possible.
- Use encryption to protect your personal information, when possible.
- Leave your Bluetooth off when not in use.
- Do not save passwords or PINS to your mobile devices.
- Use remote tracking software on your smartphone so you have the ability to locate, lock, and wipe it if it is lost or stolen.
- Take note of your IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity) number. An IMEI is your 14-16 digit serial number which identifies your smartphone. If a device is stolen, it will be permanently unusable on most carrier networks, even if the SIM card is changed.
- Don't use public Wi-Fi.