Students Leaving the University
Leaving EKU? There are a number of tasks you will need to complete before leaving the University, such as uninstalling software, moving cloud-stored files and more.
Effective Wednesday, October 1, 2018, individuals who leave the University will lose access to the following IT Services:
- Office 365 (except, graduating EKU students will maintain their student email account)
- G Suite
NOTE: Students must have taken a credit course.
|Retain* access to:||Lose access to:|
-Student records in EKU Direct
*As long as their EKU ID is active.
If you graduated after EKU started using Office 365, you will continue to have access to email, calendar, contacts, and tasks through your mymail.eku.edu account after you leave the University.
However, to comply with Microsoft/Google licensing requirements, EKU must remove access to other 365 and G Suite services (e.g., Office 365, Google Apps, Google Drive). You should back up any data you want to keep.
If you downloaded and installed Office 365, you will receive a prompt after deactivation that asks for you to Activate Office. You will either need to purchase an Office 365 account with Microsoft directly or purchase a commercially available version of Office. Office software will prompt with a warning that a license needs to be purchased from Microsoft to continue.
Data in OneDrive
Data should be downloaded or otherwise backed-up prior to deactivation - by the day you graduate is best.
You can download your data from OneDrive using OneDrive for Business Sync. To download items, you will use Sync to copy or move items to your local machine or flash drive using Windows Explorer.
A much slower option is to open and download each item in your OneDrive folder.
There is no migration path from the EKU Office 365 OneDrive to a personal Microsoft OneDrive account without saving the data to a computer first.
Data in Google Drive
Instructions to download files from your Google Drive.
- Go to gdrive.eku.edu and log in, if necessary.
- Click a file or folder to download. To download multiple files, press Shift or Ctrl (Command on a Mac) while clicking on other files and folders.
- Right-click > Download
If you want a copy of your data in Google Apps, you can use Google Takeout to export data from your various apps within your EKU Google Apps account.
Supported apps include Google Drive.
- Log in to Google Apps with your EKU email and password: http://myaccount.google.com/privacy#takeout
- Under Download Your Data select Create Archive.
- Select which apps to export data from. All apps with data that can be exported by Google Takeout will be listed on this page.
- Click Next.
- Choose the file type
Please note this isn't instantaneous and it may take a long time to create.
Once you have your archive, it is up to you on how to import your data to other accounts.
- Email. If you took one or more EKU courses but did not graduate, your email account, messages, and folders will be deleted. If you graduated from EKU, you have your email account for life--unless Microsoft changes that rule.
-Import email and contacts from myMail to personal Gmail account: Link 1 | Link 2 ! myMail POP, IMAM, SMTP Settings
- Copy any files you are entitled to keep, including:
- Remove software that belongs to EKU
- Office 365 (or purchase your own copy)
- Antivirus and/or Antimalware software
- Read and Write
- Move GitLab repositories to GitHub
- Obtain a Transcript. Potential employers or graduate school admissions may request a copy of your transcript. Order a copy early, and dazzle them with your preparedness.
If you have any questions regarding your student status with the university, please contact the Registrar's office, Graduate School Office, or another office that identified you as a student.