IT 2020 Orientation
Menu for EKU Technology Services:
Initiate Your Account
Take your email address and initial password and log in: https://it.eku.edu/mymail
The second step is to go to the same log in page and click to reset your password and reset the default password and set up your two-factor settings.
Manage Your Account Options
Once you have initiated your EKU email account, you can set up two-factor authentication (2FA) and password recovery.
- Reset the default email password
- Setup 2FA
- Setup Self-Serve Password Reset
- Microsoft Account Recovery Tool
Access Your University Email
Your university email account is the official means of communication at EKU. The best practice is to check your email account at least twice per day! You can also configure your phone or mobile device to receive your email.
Manage Your University Email
Be sure to set a strong password (and reset it every 6 months) for your account and that you practice safety at all times!
You may have questions regarding what technology (hardware and software) before you come to campus.
- Laptop vs Desktop
- Windows vs Mac
- Should I Bring a Printer?
- Recommended PC Systems
- What Electronics to Bring to EKU
- Device Compatibility (will it work on campus?)
- Software and Cloud Services
If you are not purchasing a system but still need access to technology we have you covered!
Use the Preferred WiFi Network
The preferred secure WiFi network at the EKU for students, faculty, and staff is eku_secure. This is the only wireless network on campus that is secure and not limited to users. The public network (eku_guest) is there for users without an EKU email username and password login and is limited access (e.g., you can not use cloud printing while connected to the guest network).
- How to Connect to the Wireless Network (Windows| Mac | iPhone | Android | Linux)
- How to Connect a Chromebook to the Wireless Network
Troubleshoot Your WiFi Connection
Did you know that many WiFi connectivity problems are the result of settings or other issues on individual users’ computers, phones, and other mobile devices? The good news is many of these can be easily be fixed.
Review Your Directory Information
Log in to EKU Direct using your EKU email username and password. Select the "Personal Information" tab on the top menu. Click "Directory Profile Update" to review your information and verify that it is correct.Notes regarding EKU Direct: If you experience issues, the best fix tends to be: (1) clear browser cache, (2) clear browser history, (3) be sure browser is up-to-date, (4) be sure you're on EKU_SECURE or a good internet connection, and (5) restart the PC.
View Your Class Schedule
Log in to EKU Direct using your EKU email username and password. Click on the "Student Services & Financial Aid" tab at the top. Under the "Registration" link, there is a weekly view of your classes and the times they meet. (Note: If you do not see your classes listed, be sure you choose the correct term.)
Make Tuition Payments
All online payments are made by going to the "My Finances" tab on EKU Direct. You may also grant access to a parent or guest to allow them to make an online payment on your account.
- EKU Direct
- Check Your Financial Aid
- Check Your Account Balance
- Make Payments Online
- Granting Finance Access to Parents (Web 4 Parents)
It is important to practice smart computing whether you are at home, on vacation, or at school at EKU. This will help protect your identity, your data, EKU's network, and EKU's data.
- Phishing & Suspicious Emails
- Less Phishing & Spam with Microsoft Advanced Threat Protection (ATP)
- How to Use ATP
- [EXTERNAL] Email Tags
- Identity Theft Protection
- Mobile Device Security Tips
- Physical Device Security
- Browser Security Tips
- Viruses & Malware
- Copyright Compliance
- Network Security
- Apps & Software Security
- Social Engineering
- Protect Your Privacy
- Social Media Security
- Secure Your Data
Policies & Procedures
- IT Code of Ethics for Computing & Communication
- Residential Network (ResNet) Acceptable Use Policy
- Copyright Compliance
- IT Password Protocol & Requirements
- University Communication via University Email Accounts
- Identity Theft Prevention Policy
- Information Security Incidence Response
- Intellectual Property
- Policy on Discrimination and Harassment (including online behavior)
- Website and Other Technology Accessibility
Get Technology Help
The IT Geeks is your first point of contact for hardware, software, and internet support (and more!). You can contact the Geeks for assistance even if you are not on campus yet.
Use University Technologies for Your Courses
Your instructors may create websites for your courses in the Blackboard learning management system. NOTE: If your class is not online, a course may not be created. Ask your instructor!
- Blackboard App Setup
Use Communication and Conferencing Tools
Use university-supported technologies to communicate with large audiences, small groups, or individuals.
- G Suite for Education (Google Drive, Google Docs, etc.)
- Office 365 for Education (OneDrive, Word Online, etc.)
Use Free Technology Training & Tutoring
- Geek Tech Talks & One-on-One Tutoring
Find in-person and online training for technologies used on campus.
- Geek Brochure (PDF with links)
- Geek Orientation Handout (PDF with links)
- Geek Prezi
- Geek Website
- Checklist for Leaving EKU (important to know!)