The Banner Access Form must be completed, signed by user and supervisor and mailed to Perkins 345 or faxed to 622-1738.
Banner is EKU’s relational database; used to maintain records.
This includes, but is not limited to:
- Human resources
- Financial aid
We currently offer the following classes for training:
View scheduled classes for Banner Training
Obtain a Banner Production Account
- New employees to EKU or employees changing jobs must complete the Banner Access Form
- send completed form to: Perkins 345 or fax to 2-1738
- your username and password will be emailed to you when the new account is set up
- Complete a Footprint request to change current access
- logon using email address
- click on New Request
- choose "Change in Existing User Security" under "Request Type"
- Fill in your personal information and write it in the description box what you are requesting
- When done, click on "Save"
- click on "logout" to exit Footprints
- Close browser
Access Internet Native Banner
- Open web browser-Internet Explorer
- Address: http://banweb.eku.edu
- If a Warning Security message appears, click "Always"
- Initial logon may require Java Initiator to be installed
- Click "yes" to install Java
- Click "next" to save software in default destination
- Click "ok" after installation is complete
Change Banner password
Banner passwords expire every 90 days. Ten days prior to the password expiring you will receive a warning message stating your password will expire in x days when you log into Banner. X will be the number of days before your password expires. After clicking the OK button, you will be logged into Banner. The 90 day expiration timer is reset every time you change your password.
- Sign into Banner
- Click ‘Change Banner Password’
- A window appears
- Enter old password
- Enter new password twice
- Step by step instructions with screen shots of banner
All Banner passwords are subject to the following rules:
- The password must have a minimum length of 8
- The password must have a minimum of one character and one number
- The password must start with a character
- The password CANNOT contain special characters
- The password cannot be the same as the previous two passwords used. To prevent you from quickly cycling thru passwords, there is also a rule that prevents passwords from being reused for 180 days.
After 3 unsuccessful login attempts, your banner account will be locked. After 10 minutes, with the correct password, you will be able to login to Banner successfully. Contact the Help Desk at 622-3000 if you have forgotten your password.
Log on Screen
- Key in username and password
There are four options to exit Banner:
- Using the Exit icon (an X located at the right end of the toolbar)
- Press the shortcut keys Ctrl + Q simultaneously
- Enter Exit in the Go To field
- Select Exit from the File pull down menu
After choosing an option to exit, a pop up box will appear. Select "yes" to exit.
This is where you set your personal preferences for Banner.
Watch a quick video.
There are two sections to the menu:
- "My Banner" is a personalized menu
- "Banner" is organized by each module (example: Student, Finance, etc.)
Expand menus by double clicking on the folder symbol or the folder name.
Double click on the level to display a selection of forms.
Double click on the form to open it.
Navigation Between Forms
There are two ways to navigate between forms:
- F5 Key-press this key while in a form and a window will pop up. Enter the form you want to navigate to.
- Arrow keys-Allow you to navigate to recent accessed forms. Banner saves the last 10 forms accessed in the current session.
Most functions can be completed with a mouse or keyboard.
Specific keystrokes for a function depend on your environment.
Show Keys is a valuable tool to use commands with the keyboard.
To access Show Keys select "Help" then "Show Keys"
The Auto hint line at the bottom left of the form shows keyboard equivalents.
Banner Keystrokes Guide
The unique seven or eight character names of Banner object forms, reports, jobs and tables are assigned according to a set of conventions. Each name is built from the same four components:
- System identifier (one or two characters)
- Module identifier (one character)
- Oject type code (one character)
- Unique identifier (four characters)
Here is an example of Banner object names.
||J Job Submission
||RPTS Report & Parameter Information
||T Validation Form/Table
||V Validation Form/Table
||ZIPC Zip/Postal Code
Complete Table of Banner Object Naming Conventions
Accessing a Form
1. Using Go To Field
Type the seven character code for the form into the GO TO field on the menu form (located in the top left corner). Press Enter.
Use the arrow key to the right of the Go To field and a search box will appear.
- Hit the F8 key or from the Query drop down select "Execute"
- Enter a word from the title of the form (example: General Person Identification)
- Highlight the name of the form and click "Start" to open the form
2. Using the Main Menu
Click on the Module and Form within module (Example: Student, General Person Identification)
3. Using File Drop Down
Select the form from the list of the ten most recently visited forms at the foot of the File drop down.
The Up and Down arrows on the keyboard can be used to located the most recently used forms.
Parts of a Form
1. Menu Bar
The Banner menu bar is located at the top of every form and contains a list of actions which are grouped beneath the menu item. If a pull down menu or an item is dimmed, it is unavailable.
Watch video about the Menu Bar
The horizontal toolbar appears directly under the Menu Bar and consists of icons which proide short cuts to the most frequently used functions.
- Move the cursor over the icon
- A bubble will appear displaying the icon description
View Toolbar Icons & Descriptions
Many of the Banner forms have tabs which can used to navigate through different block of information.
Tabs are located at the top of each form.
4. Auto Hint
Located at the bottom of the form and may contain the following information for the field where the cursor is located:
- Brief field description
- Error and processing messages
- Keyboard shortcuts
- Instructions for accessing other blocks, windows or forms from the field
Tip: If you have typed something that is not allowed in the field, read the message on the Auto Hint line.
To clear the message, select the Help button once, this will re-display the original information about that field.
5. Status Line
The Status Line directly under the Auto Hint can contain the following messages:
- Record n/n: Shows the number of currrent record followed by the total number of records in the current block. If there are more records than fit it the window, the total appears as a question mark (ie: 3/?) until you scroll to the last record in the block. Once the last record is displayed, the total appears as a number (ie: 3/15)
- List of Values: Indicates the field has a List of Values
- Enter-Query: Indicates the form is in query mode
Elements on a Form
1. On Screen Icons
Icons appear in the body of a form and are used to perform the following actions:
- Search: There is a search icon next to the relevant field
- Maintenance: Icons update information in the particular database
2. Screen Buttons
The following buttons appear on screen, the user can select them with their mouse:
- Response Buttons: These invite a user action and appear in alert and dialogue boxes (ie: Yes or no)
- Checkboxes: These are small boxes used to enable or disable functions within the system )ie: Confidential, Deceased)
- Radio Buttons: These are circles used to select one of several options in a group (ie: Gender: Male, Female)
3. Separator Bar
When you are within a form that contains a separator bar, you must "next Block" to move in the form.
4. Records, Rows and Columns
- A form showing columns, records, and rows is SOAIDEN after a search has been made
- Each column has common characteristics (ie: Last name)
- Each row is a single person record
Fields are areas on a form where a user can query, view, enter and/or change a defined piece of data.
The field name is normally alongside the field.
Some fields require certain values, and a list of these values can often be accessed by clicking on a drop down beside the field.
Searching in Banner
1. Entering a Complete ID Number
Most searches for a person's information is accessed via an ID number in the key block (ie: SPAIDEN,SPAPERS< SGASTON)
If the ID is not known, users can search on the person's name.
Entering a complete ID number:
- Clear Record if this field is already populated.
- In the ID field, type in the full ID and press Enter.
- The name will appear in the Name field in the key block
2. Entering a Complete Name
- Clear Record if this field is already populated.
- Tab to the Name field next to the ID field.
- Type in the name, surname first, with the other names separated by commas in upper, lower of mixed case, using only English symbols.
- If Banner returns a single search result it will populate the ID and Name fields in the key block
- If the information is not unique, the ID and Name extended Search window would be displayed.
3. ID and Name Extended Search Window
When unsure of the complete name, you can type in the last name and hit enter on the keyboard.
This action will produce a Search pop up window listing the possibilities.(ie: Finance)
If the result shows more than twenty persons, insert the date of birth at this stage in the Birth Date field and click on the Person Search icon.
For fewer than twenty persons display, press the Person Search Detail button.
When the Person Search Detail button is pushed it will display the Person Search Form SOAIDEN, already populated with the results of the search, including the Date of Birth of the persons.
Double click on the required record to return the details to the parent form.
4. Using Wildcards in Searches (ie: Partial ID and Name)
Oracle wildcards are characters that will stand for one or more letters or numbers and can help identify a student when only partial infromation is known.
- % (percent key) represents one or more unspecified characters
- _(underscore key) represents one character
These characters can appear in any part of the number or name. (ie: Finance Ftrain% in the name field will find everyone who has these letters in their name.)
1. Creating My Banner Menu
The My Banner menu provides the user with the opportunity to create a personalized menu containing those forms which are most important to their daily work.
- Double click on My Banner in the top left corner to open that menu.
- Open the My Banner Maintenance Form by double clicking GUAPMNU.
- Use the up and down arrows on your keyboard to search for the form code or execute a search using the 7 letter code
- Click on Enter Query button on the tool bar or press F7
- Enter the 7 letter code in the Object Column
- Click on Execute Query button on the toolbar or press F8
- The form name will appear.
- Click on the form name in the object field.
- Press the arrow to move it into the personal menu or you can type the letters into the right hand panel directly. The Description is defaulted automatically.
- You can change the description of the form.
- Repeat the process for each form.
- Click on the Save icon to save your changes.
- Check your auto hint line to verify changes were saved.
- Click X to Exit the form.
- Click on Menu button from the Toolbar. This will "refresh" all the forms added.
- Open "My Banner" and forms should be within that folder.
2. Deleting an Object from My Banner Menu
- Double click on My Banner or type GUAPMNU in the Go To Field.
- Select the object to be deleted by double clicking on it to highlight it.
- Click on the Remove button to delete the object from the right hand side.
- Click on the Save icon to save your changes.
- Check your auto hint line to verify that changes were saved.
- Click on X to Exit the form.
- Click on Menu button from the Toolbar. This will "refresh" all the forms you deleted.
- Open "My Banner" and forms should be gone from that folder.
Banner is available
Navigating a form or report in Banner
- Attend training
- Call the IT Service Desk 622-3000
More Banner Instructions